|Python Programming Fun|
Time: Start April /2021, Small Group Class up to 10 students, grade 5-7
Instructor: Jennifer Xu, Bentley University, Professor, Computer Information System
Fees: 15 x$50 = $750
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
- Fundamentals of Python, 2nd Ed. by Kenneth A. Lambert, Cengage Learning, ISBN-13: 978-1337560092
- Think Python, 2nd Ed. By Allen B. Downey, O’Reilly, ISBN: 978-1-491-93936-9. (Free online access at http://greenteapress.com/wp/think-python-2e/)
- Laptop computer (Windows or Mac)
- PyCharm Ed, download at https://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm-edu/
The primary goal of this course is for students to get started with computer programming. Python is an easy-to-learn yet powerful programming language. You will be able to do a lot with Python from simple math to more complex tasks such as data processing and analytics. You can also use Python to code your own video games!
In this class, we will learn basic programming concepts, problem solving tactics, and logical thinking.
Although this course is just a small group class/club, students must follow some basic policies:
- If you will be absent on a particular day, please inform the instructor in advance.
- Be active at class. The class should be more interactive than mere lecture, which is boring. Feel free to ask questions and participate in discussions. Don’t be shy to answer the instructor’s questions.
- We will have plenty of practice time at class. Make sure you can do all the practice questions.
- Homework will be assigned for each chapter. You MUST complete all homework assignments! Feel free to ask questions if you are stuck.
Tentative Class Schedule:
|Class||Topics and Assignments||Readings|
|1||Class orientationGetting started with Python programming||Chapter 1|
|2||Data types and expressions||Chapter 2|
|3||Control structures – Loops||Chapter 3|
|4||Control structures – Loops||Chapter 3|
|5||Control structures – Selections||Chapter 3|
|6||Strings and text files||Chapter 4|
|7||Strings and text files||Chapter 4|
|8||Simple functions||Chapter 4|
|9||Data structures – Lists||Chapter 5|
|10||Data structures – Dictionary||Chapter 5|
|11||Data structures – Dictionary||Chapter 5|
|12||Functions (Recursion)||Chapter 6|
|14||Classes and Objects||Chapter 9|
|15||Classes and Objects||Chapter 9|